Sunday 17 May 2015

New York - with the crowd in central park

Introduction

I can never contain my sense of excitement when thinking about going to New York City. I was fortunate enough to go there recently and the number meetings meant that it made sense for me to have a weekend there. While the day is conducive to anything more than work the evening prove invaluable in seeing the city. Now I've been to New York City before and know my way round it. But this time the trip was different. Here are some of thing I got up to.

Central Park Circuit.

I had warm evening when the office emptied at 6pm and I went back to the hotel with nothing much to do. So I put on my shorts and thought it would be worth while running around the Central Park circuit. Being the middle of spring the day was warm and the number of cherry blossom trees and the evening light were magical. But I think every man and woman on the west and east side must have had the same ideas and me as there was a bevy of different New Yorker running along side me.




Cherry Blossoms in Central Park (April)

Looking out over to the west side
A little fitness while taking pictures

Chrysler Building

Here's a photo looking up at the Chrysler building from just behind Grand Central station. Magnificent building but sadly you cannot go up to the observatory of this phenomenal building



Chrysler Building - Day time shot of the Art Deco façade

Empire State Building

The Empire state is still a building that takes your breadth away to build something so tall nearly a hundred years ago and still a functional building to this day is something. This does have an observatory but next time baby!




Grand Central Station

A beautiful ambient train station the home to many a movie and handy location for a Apple store too. No I didnt buy anything from this one.




Times Square

Times Square is always happening and you cant beat the buzz around this place. I've noticed that most places in the world have a Times Square, even out local shopping centre has a times square but nothing compares to this place.

Eye Catching H&M lady

Times Square - Circular Panorama

St. Patricks Cathedral

Here's a view of St. Patrick's cathedral sandwiched between commercial mid tow and the shops of Fifth and Madison.


Top of the Roc

This is the view from Bar65 at the top of the Rockefeller Centre. I would say this is the best way to spend your money if you're going to the top of the Roc. Yes the drink prices are extortionate but there are every where else in the world where you have a view like this.


Other places to visit

For a few evening drinks and watching the sun go down over Jersey head to down town and the Standard Hotel roof top bar.

Just across from the Standard Bar is Hog and Heifers bar - if you've seen Coyote Ugly this is the place in NYC. Sadly the place was dead on the day I went but interesting for the visitor. It looks like a biker crowd hopefully they are not territorial

Conclusion

Hopefully will be back in the Big Apple soon enough with the family in tow to properly visit the sights again and get some better pictures with proper focus and more light! Until then adieu.

0 comments:

Post a Comment